Friday, June 26, 2009

Knee High By the Fourth of July?

Since I was little I've heard the phrase, "knee high by the fourth of July", in reference to the growth of corn. Of course, this phrase was repeated by my parents both raised on farms in Illinois, which is probably why, it's not applying to the corn we planted in our back yard.

We have TASSELS ! I couldn't believe it when I saw that each stalk has tasseled, that means the corn is on its way and we are thrilled, as this was the most "iffy" crop we planted this year.

The tomatoes were just out of control, growing wildly and producing clusters of good looking tomatoes that just need to turn red. We decided we had to offer the tomato plants a little more support and so Guy built these amazing trellis' to support their incredible growth and increase our odds of getting all the fruit possible off of these plants.

As an update, the sparkly mylar ribbon did not help keep the birds off the strawberries, but still looks pretty out in the yard. We did put some one inch square mesh plastic over the strawberries to protect the fruit and that is working!

I started new seedlings on beans, squash, and beets this week, to keep our crops going through the early fall, and the beets and squash into winter. I also found an heirloom variety of cherry tomatoes that is supposed to bear fruit in a variety of colors - I'll let you know if those seeds pop up, I have never planted tomatoes from seed before!

1 comment: