Monday, April 27, 2009

The Beets Grow On, and Strawberry Fields Forever

The garden is getting bigger, as you can see in the new photo posts the beets are growing, I love the deep red veins you can see in the leaves, and the strawberries are starting to show up.  We really do hope it is strawberry fields forever, between the jam I need to make to keep my Guy happy, and the fruit we eat in smoothies as well as with cottage cheese and cereal we can eat a fields worth between the two of us!  We also planted some new things last week, corn, eggplant, sunflowers, nasturtium, green onions, and basil.  We're trying to spread out the herbs in order to work the idea that those pungent plants help to keep the bugs at bay.

Guy is busy making fly catchers for me, I'll post a photo of that when he's done and let you know how it worked, and I am indoors updating the blog, because it is cold today, well cold for here anyway.  It is only 55, we had a heavy marine layer from the bay this morning, and the wind is blowing fiercely, if we measured wind chill here I bet it would be about 40.  It's a good day to catch up on indoor work, laundry, cleaning, and blogging, tomorrow should be warmer and I will plant my carrots.

2 comments:

  1. i need to see a picture of you with your hands covered in dirt! thanks for your email telling me about your blog. i've been trying to improve our garden every year - mainly, i keep trying to think of plants to grow that people in my house will actually eat. so far for vegetables that just means tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and peppers. did you go with ever-bearing strawberries or one-time producers? i'm curious what your growing season is for strawberries there on the pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to get a picture posted, I did however find these awesome gloves, that protect your hands and fit so well you really can do everything in them from digging, and pruning roses bushes to planting the smallest of seeds. As far as the strawberries go, we planted one-time and ever-bearing, just trying to see what would do best for us. My understanding is that we should see fruit through October and as early as March, I think our little pocket of land might be too cold for all year, unless we protect it with some sort of clear structure which we are considering - I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete